Kirti Kalra is a 21-year old painter, currently in the fourth year of her BFA at the College of Art in New Delhi. She embraced art as a profession when she was in the seventh standard and her painting practice has flourished since. She has won approximately 50 awards in painting competitions. Her works contain vibrant colors and lush compositions that often step into the surreal, portraying a world far beyond that which she experiences with her speech and hearingimpairment.
In addition to painting, Kalra is a skilled athlete. She won three gold medals in badminton at the 2013 Special Olympics Asia Pacific Games in Newcastle, Australia, as well as a silver medal in pairs figure skating at the 2013 Special Olympics World Winter Games in South Korea. Kalra and her sister, Simran, were also featured in a performance of the Indian Sign Language national anthem with Amitabh Bachchan, which can be viewed on YouTube.
For inquiries about all available art, please contact Not Just Art.
- Sophisticated Beauty (2017) - Acrylic on canvas, 40x30” [available]. Abstract composition of a woman’s face, her hand holding a small bouquet of flowers, large leaves, and a meandering road. All are in fluid shades of blue, green, pink, purple, and yellow. (#KIKA001)
- Freedom (2017) - Acrylic on canvas, 30x40” [available]. Abstract composition of a woman’s form floating in front of a yellow triangle, through which a city is visible. Dark dripping clouds, red birds and flowers, and jellyfish surround the image. (#KIKA002)
- College Scene (2016-2017) - Acrylic on canvas, 26x36” [available]. A path through a campus of red brick buildings and trees, fragmented into several rectangles against a black background. (#KIKA003)
- Outdoor (2016-2017) - Oil on canvas, 30x36” [available]. A small white building surrounded by trees, with a dirt road in front of it. (#KIKA004)
- Rainy Night (2016) - Acrylic on canvas, 30x24” [available]. Brightly-lit buildings at night, contrasting with the cloudy dark blue sky. The road is wet and reflecting the light from the buildings. (#KIKA005)
- Woman Sculpture (2015) - Acrylic on canvas, 30x24” [available]. A seated female figure holds a pink lotus, from which the form of a traditional Indian female statue emerges. Green leaves and pink flower buds surround the forms in front of a blue background. (#KIKA006)
- Master Work (2016-2017) - Oil on canvas, 30x36” [available]. A woman in a pink coat and white dress sits in a sleigh, pushed by a man in a red fur cape. A snowy landscape containing buildings and a mill wheel is visible in the background. (#KIKA007)
- Humans of Sign Language. "It was at the age of eight months..." Facebook, 17 July 2017.