Karishma Kannan is a painter currently based in Bangalore. She was born in 1991 and diagnosed with Down’s Syndrome at four months old. Through early intervention and a steady rotation of professionals, she was able to attend schools, embrace dance and theater, and engage with her peers. After her family’s move to Vietnam in 2008, she connected with several valuable resources, including Ms. Binh, a yoga teacher, and Cyndi Beaumont, an art teacher in Ho Chi Minh City. This led her to discover a true passion for painting. She held her first solo exhibition in 2011, and upon selling all 45 paintings, donated the proceeds ($11,500 USD) to special schools and homes in Vietnam. Since this first show, she has sold more than 80 paintings and donated the proceeds to several charitable causes.
Upon returning to India in 2015, Kannan has continued to paint, dance, and practice yoga. She was given a 2014 World Down Syndrome Day Award by Down Syndrome International for her contributions to charitable organizations and advocacy for underprivileged people. Her artwork is vibrant and engaging, recalling uplifting natural scenes and experience gained through her travels. She hopes to inspire people of all abilities to pursue their dreams, no matter how far off they may seem. Her story can be experienced in full on her personal website and on her YouTube channel.
For inquiries about all available art, please contact Not Just Art.
- Memories of Saigon (2015) - Acrylic on canvas, 18x24” [available]. Landscape view of two fishermen rowing boats across a river toward houses on the shore, the sun reflecting in the water. Trees line both shores near and far. (#KAKA001)
- Mumbai Meri Jaan (2015) - Acrylic on canvas, 18x24” [available]. Two skylines of Mumbai, separated by multicolored water. (#KAKA002)
- Ganpati Bappa Morya! (2015) - Acrylic on canvas, 24x18” [available]. Stylized image of Ganpati in many shades of blue, with a dark and light blue border. (#KAKA003)
- The Tree (2017) - Acrylic on canvas, 24x18” [available]. A tree with red leaves on green grass, against a light blue sky. Small trees are visible in the distance. (#KAKA004)
- Zen Garden (2016) - Acrylic on canvas, 30x22” [available]. Lilypads, flowers, and bamboo shoots emerge from light blue water. White-winged dragonflies fly between them. (#KAKA005)
- Sailing (2017) - Acrylic on canvas, 18x24” [available]. View from a sandy shore of two white-sailed boats crossing clear blue water. Fluffy clouds rest above the horizon. (#KAKA006)
- Skyline (2017) - Acrylic on canvas, 18x24” [available]. A sunset view of an abstract city skyline reflected in water, below an orange sky. (#KAKA007)
- Melting Moon (2015) - Acrylic on canvas, 22x30” [sold]. Multicolored orbs suspended from long lines of color, in front of swipes of different colors. (#KAKA008)
- Skylight Window (2016) - Acrylic on canvas, 24x18” [available]. Stained glass window with multicolored floral designs. (#KAKA009)
- Kaleidoscope (2016) - Acrylic on canvas, 24x18” [available]. Several brightly colored shapes layered on top of each other, outlined by light and dark dots. (#KAKA010)
- Dat, Van. "Artist with Down Syndrome Delivers an Uplifting Message." Viet Nam News, 5 Dec. 2013.
- "Down Syndrome International Announces Recipients of 2014 World Down Syndrome Day Awards." World Down Syndrome Day, 14 Mar. 2014.
- Hale, Natalie. "Tuesday Topic: Artist Karishma, with DS, Raises $38K for Kids with Disabilities." Special Reads for Special Needs, 10 Dec. 2013.
- "Indian Girl’s Love for Disabled Kids Through Paintings." Vietnam.net Bridge, 27 Mar. 2015.